The Student News Site of Cape Coral High School

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

Bowling teams’ journey to States was something to behold

Image courtesy of Haruna Mescallado.

2022-2023 was an eventful year for the boys and girls bowling teams. They both had dominating seasons with the boys making it as far as finishing fourth place at the state level.

Going into the 2023-2024 season, they strived to continue their dominance. At the end of the season, the boys were undefeated 14-0 while the girls were 13-1. With this confidence, both teams went on to districts and successfully came away with the district title.

Boys head coach Lamar Bryant was thrilled with how his team played throughout the season and at districts. “I think they did, you know, for the boys they did really well,” Bryant stated. “I’m talking about throughout, from the starting five to the actual reserve player. Due to the fact I put the subs in a situation where I gave them time to excel, they did above expectations from what I saw.”

Head coach of the girls team, Anthony Foster was also pleased with how his team played. “Regular season was great, we only lost one match but they were competitive that match so the regular season was good and I’m really proud of the girls,” said Foster. “The girls got along great, they’re great teammates for each other. We got better throughout the year in regards to picking up our spares and making better shots overall.”

As a result of their victory at districts, the teams qualified for the FHSSA bowling tournament in Orlando, taking place during late October. In this tournament, the team participated in Baker matches. “One thing about the tournament is the Baker matches, where each bowler bowls two frames and picking up spares and closing out frames is a big part of that,” Foster explained.

In the first round of the tournament, the boys played against Bayside High. Unfortunately, they couldn’t get an upper advantage and lost 3-0, moving them down to the losers bracket where they would fight for a spot back in the standings. Fighting for a spot with them was Merritt Island High, who also took the win against the boys, 3-1.

For the girls, they were matched with Lake Mary High in the first round and after a well-fought battle, the Seahawks were able to come on top 3-2 and move on. In the second round, they were put up against Seabreeze High, which swept the girls, putting them into the losers bracket.

In the losers bracket, the girls bowled against Winter Park High and demolished them 3-1. They then made it to round four, fighting against Heritage High. Sadly, the girls couldn’t carry through and lost 3-1.

With this being his first official season being the girls head coach, Foster was delighted with the team’s success. “Last year I kind of helped out as a volunteer and then this year I took over [as head coach],” stated Foster. “The girls came one match away from qualifying for state last year so this year our goal was to go to state and we accomplished that so I was really happy with that.”

Junior bowler Daniel Lynn explained that this season was “their year” to win big. “It was rough, sad knowing this was our last year to have a shot, team wise, at the state title,” said Lynn. “We’re losing two seniors that were key factors to our team. We should have won but we didn’t bowl to the best of our abilities.”

While the team may not have been moving on, Bryant and Foster decided to send two bowlers to the individual round, this being Lynn and fellow junior Brooke Pabst. In this round, the two would individually play against separate opponents and look to gather two wins.

Pabst, who has been on the team for the past two years, explained that the tournament was something she wasn’t really stressed about. “I had very little to no nerves going into states as I knew what to expect and what I needed to do,” Pabst stated. “Worked a lot on my release and spares during those last few practices right before competition.”

Pabst was paired up against Katarina Hagler. The two went back and forth, putting up over 200 points per match. However, Hagler had a slight advantage and was able to take both games and move on.

Even though Pabst was eliminated, Foster believed that her performance was outstanding. “She [Pabst] bowled a 247 and a 227 in her first individual round and ended up losing that round because the other girl bowled a 278 and 250,” Foster explained. “So again, she didn’t bowl bad, she bowled excellent so she has to be really proud.”

Pabst was then moved to the losers bracket where she took on some of the other girls who lost previously. “She won her matchup in the first round and lost in the second round but overall she did very well,” said Bryant.

For Lynn, he fought up against James Drehoble. The two also had a very close first round but Lynn came-up short and lost. Lynn was sent to the losers bracket where he was placed with Carson Reighard. “He went to the loser’s bracket and then from there he had to fight his way back to the top spot to where he had to go against the 14 seed,” Bryant explained.
“Then he played against the number one seed who was a very good player. Daniel ended up beating him but then lost in the semis.”

Lynn managed to reach the final four, making him the first individual bowler to ever reach that position in Cape Coral High history. “It feels great, I made great shots and bowled exactly how I should have bowled,” Lynn said. “Wasn’t the finish I was hoping for of course but either way it feels great.”

As the coach of Lynn, Bryant was proud of Lynn’s drive during his time in the individuals. “Whenever he faced a challenge, he tried to overcome it,”Bryant stated. “He works hard, he maintains his focus, he doesn’t let the moment overtake him.”

Along with having a drive, Bryant also stated that Lynn was a leader through the tournament. “He also helped contribute to his teammates,” explained Bryant. “He actually helped one of his teammates who usually averaged 125 last year. He got to a point where he’s actually building a 165. So helping him out along with his teammates too.”

Bryant also explained that Pabst is a mentor towards her teammates. “She wanted her teammates to actually succeed as well so she wanted them in the best positions possible,” said Bryant. 

“She told them what ball to use to help them be very successful. She is pretty much a leader in that aspect. She knows what she’s talking about when like, knowing the lanes and how to actually figure out which ball can actually work with them the most. Brooke is pretty much a leader in action.”

Pabst stated that her succession would have never come without the support she got along the way. “I wouldn’t have made it as far as I did as an individual without my amazing coach, Mr Foster along with Daniel Lynn who helped me when I needed it,” said Pabst. “Also a great thank you to all my friends that supported me that were back at school.”

Lynn also explained that he was glad to have the support he had when he was competing. “I love this team, the dedication we’ve put in as we can see, is starting to pay off,” Lynn stated. “I love my coaches, they’re like family, always behind my back, and I always have my people behind me rooting for me and I’m forever thankful.”