The Student News Site of Cape Coral High School

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

Cape community bids farewell to yacht club

Image courtesy of the Cape Coral Yacht Club

For most seniors, getting to personalize their parking spot is a memory they will carry with them for the rest of their lives. However, at Cape Coral High School, the senior class does not have the option to participate in this classic senior event.

Allowing seniors to be able to personalize their parking spots is a way for seniors to leave their mark at Cape High, encourage school spirit, and offer a unique experience for them to look back on.

As homecoming season approaches, painting their parking spaces is one of the most unique ways for seniors to showcase their personal interests while still showing their school spirit. Giving seniors the opportunity to paint their parking spot can encourage students to get involved around campus.

Along with this, having a personalized parking spot is the perfect way to allow students to express their creative side. From movie references to their favorite singer, a personalized parking spot could include whatever crosses a senior’s mind.

Think about it. Minions in the student lot. Song lyrics spanning from Taylor Swift to Queen. A spot head to toe covered in stacks of books. Instead of the boring blue and white lines, the parking lot could be filled with anything that meets the eye.

This tradition is something that schools across Lee County and the country take part in, so why shouldn’t Cape High?

Senior year for all students should be a year filled with memories of spending time with friends and taking part in every classic and traditional high school experience. Painting a senior parking spot is one of those classic traditions.

Above all, personalized senior parking spots are one of the easiest and most creative ways for seniors to leave their mark at Cape High. Allowing for expressions of their likes, these parking spots are the perfect way for seniors to feel their presence at Cape High long past their graduation day.

Ways of executing this long-awaited senior tradition could be very straightforward and easy. The proposed process could start with an interest form shared to the senior class via Google Classroom in order to gauge who would and wouldn’t want to participate in this tradition. From there, another Google Form could be created for students to submit their ideas for their parking spot to be reviewed and approved.

This is where the process really begins. Multiple days should be organized for students to come either after school or on the weekends in order to create their masterpieces.

In order to encourage seniors to participate in this trend, the price of these parking spots should be reduced from 30 dollars, the traditional cost of parking, to something within the range of 15 to 20 dollars.

As more and more students decide to participate, the types of school spirit-related activities surrounding the parking spots can increase. For example, a contest can take place where students vote on the most well-designed personalized spot, with the winner receiving free tickets to a sporting event. Or, as it nears the homecoming dance, discounted and/or free tickets to the dance could be awarded instead.

All in all, personalized parking spots are a perfect senior tradition to bring to Cape High. They encourage school spirit, as students get to express themselves on campus. They’re relatively easy to organize and set up, and, most importantly, they allow for the senior class to leave their mark at a school that they have called home for the last four years.