The Student News Site of Cape Coral High School

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

Class of 2024 speakers share words of advice to peers

AJ Cudnik

As the summer approaches and the school year comes to an end, graduation tradition continues to thrive at Cape Coral High School. After a long decision process, the senior speakers for the class of 2024 have been selected. 

The selection of student speakers is an annual process where students are given the opportunity to speak at the graduation ceremony. To be eligible, students must maintain a 3.0 grade point average. 

The first half of the selection process is headed by the graduation committee. Students who want to be a speaker submit an essay on what they will say in their speech. From there, the committee cuts down the candidates to three traditional students and three International Baccalaureate (IB) students. The second part of the selection process allows the senior student body to vote for a speaker in each category. 

This year, Joanna Beall and Mikala Allen are the two students set to speak at this year’s graduation ceremony. Leading up to graduation, both seniors will take on the role of preparing for their big moment. According to assistant principal Alan Gurgal, they will, “Write their final copy of the speech and then graduation committee reviews it and gives feedback. Then they practice the speech up until graduation day.”

Joanna Beall is a four year varsity soccer player who’s participated in student government and played briefly on the bowling team. Her selection as the traditional student speaker has made her grateful for being given the opportunity. 

“I’m excited because I feel like I have the confidence to stand up in front of all the seniors and speak in front of them.” stated Beall. “I’m happy that I got the chance to do that. Because I know like, I’m gonna have a speech that they’re going to remember.”

In terms of qualification, Beall feels her confidence makes her the right person for the job. “I think I’m a good fit because I know I’m gonna be able to stand on the stage and be confident in what I’m talking about,” stated Beall. 

Mikala Allen is a lacrosse player who’s thrilled to speak at graduation on behalf of the IB class. “I feel honored and proud to represent the IB class as a graduating speaker. I’m excited and can’t wait,” explained Allen.

Allen feels her diverse portfolio of academic and athletic merit gives her the leadership skills and motivational aura to deliver a speech. Allen stated, “I’m a good fit to speak at graduation because I have excelled in my academics and athletics, I display leadership qualities, [and] I believe I have a positive influence on those around me.”

While being a speaker may seem unnerving at first, both speakers are confident in their ability to talk to the crowd, especially given their past experience speaking to smaller groups. Allen stated, “This isn’t my first time delivering a speech to a crowd so I’m not nervous but the audience will definitely be much larger so I mean the nerves are there but I’m excited.” 

Beall expressed similar thoughts, stating, “[Is it my first time speaking to] a crowd this big? Definitely. But I’ve spoken like in front of people, like a few hundred people.”

Carl Theodor von Unlanski once said, “great minds think alike,” and that stands to be true with the message the speakers want to deliver. Both Allen and Beall caution lowerclassmen about how time flies and how those long four years end sooner than expected. 

“[My] final words for underclassmen would be it really does go by fast so make the most of it,” explained Allen. “Don’t let one little thing ruin your day, work hard so you can get into the college you want, be kind and embrace change as high school is a time of growth…”

Beall confirms this, advising lower classmen to, “not rush your four years because one thing I wish is that I lived my four years better because now that I’m like, actually graduating, it did come really fast.”

The speakers are both excited to deliver their speeches on the big day, and all the seniors are excited to hear them.