The Student News Site of Cape Coral High School

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

Seahawks are preparing the Nest for homecoming

As the 2023 homecoming season approaches at Cape Coral High School, key information regarding the dance, football game, and more, are ready to be shared with the student body.  The Student Government Association [SGA] has been working for weeks to put on the best homecoming for students yet. 

Perhaps the most exciting aspect of the homecoming season for students is the Homecoming Dance. This year, the dance is set to take place on Saturday, October 14th, from 7-10 PM in the front courtyard of Cape High, weather permitting. The theme for this year is Alice in Wonderland, a creative and artsy change from last year’s theme of Hollywood Nights. 

SGA Sponsor Vanessa Soto shared the process of choosing the dance’s theme, stating, “The idea was brought up by Sabrina Manso (Sophomore Class Fundraising Director) at the General Student Government Meeting among other themes. Class officers and students at large who attended, voted on all of the ideas and this one garnered the most interest.”

Class of 2024 Secretary, Veronica Varona, started the process of dwindling down theme options until the final verdict of how the Homecoming Dance’s theme was chosen. 

“Everyone gave out their ideas and then we all voted on which ones we liked the most. Top three, I think, were then voted on again to make for the number one choice, thus Alice [in Wonderland,]” stated Varona. 

The sale date for tickets has not been released yet, however, they will be available on GoFan for students to purchase. Soto noted that, “Each student will be able to purchase a ticket for themselves and one for a guest.”

Outside guests will be allowed to attend the homecoming dance, like in previous years, as long as they are under the age of 21 and the proper paperwork has been filled out and submitted. 

Students who are on the fees and fines list will not be able to purchase tickets for the homecoming dance until their finances are resolved. To do so, students must see Dianne Tobias in bookkeeping in order to purchase tickets. 

This year’s homecoming court will begin running on Monday, October 2nd, with nomination forms becoming available a week from then, on October 9th. Opening at 7 AM, these forms will remain open until 1:35 PM on the next day, October 10th. Voting for King and Queen will open for seniors on October 11th from 7 AM to 1:35 PM. 

It’s important to note that students who ran and were elected to be on homecoming court will not be allowed to run for prom court in the spring. 

For the week October 9th through 13th, the dress up days have not been decided yet, however, according to Varona, they are being debated on currently. 

“Similar to how the theme was picked, we throw out ideas and then vote. We try to choose ideas that will result in the student body participating more and enjoying [themselves,]” said Varona. 

According to Class of 2024 President, Analise Valetin, the classic tradition of decorated hallways plans to make a return this homecoming season. This classic homecoming season experience at Cape High has not been a part of the celebrations since before the COVID-19 outbreak in 2020, but SGA has brought it back. 

“We’re excited for the decorated hallway coming back to give you and friends an opportunity to take a break from dancing and take some memorable photos,” stated Valetin.

Varona shares this sentiment, as the current senior class has never taken part in this tradition, “It’s [decorated hallways] gonna be awesome? But, it’s just gonna be really cool to be able to bring back a tradition that we’ve never experienced ’cause of COVID. I’m hoping we get to have different sections so each class can stand out individually and show their ideas to the student body.”

In years past, Soto discussed how decorated hallways were executed,  “In the past, Homecoming was held in the gym and the hallway near the gym was decorated by the different classes.”

However, this is expected to change this year, as the dance will be outside in the school front courtyard in order to accommodate more students. 

Powderpuff is returning this year, and Soto is not expecting any issues. “The only issues we encountered last year were due to Hurricane Ian. Students experienced hardship and lost interest after it had to be postponed,” said Soto. “We don’t expect any issues this year.”

More information regarding Powderpuff will be released closer to homecoming week, so be sure to check the Class of Google Classroom to stay up-to-date on tryouts and more. 

Lastly, this year’s homecoming football will take place Friday, October 13th at 7:30 PM against Island Coast. In honor of the month of October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the game will be a Pink Out theme.

Tickets for the game will be on GoFan, however students will get a free game ticket with their purchase of a homecoming dance ticket.