The Student News Site of Cape Coral High School

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

Pumpkin Spice Lattes: tasty to some, beloved by all

September is here and fall is right around the corner which means annual trends are coming back. Chunky sweaters, Gilmore Girls, autumn scented candles, and of course many seasonal pumpkin flavors are back in season, as well as arguably the most popular and anticipated fall favorite: the annual pumpkin spice lattes.

Since Starbucks first introduced Pumpkin Spice Lattes in September of 2003, they have become the quintessential fall beverage. They have been brought back every year as an annual flavor, and many people agree that it never feels like fall has officially begun until they are back on the menu.

The flavor has since gone far beyond just being one of Starbucks popular drinks. Aside from them being one of the country’s best selling original flavors, other coffee shops have also joined in on the popular seasonal trend adding their own various pumpkin and other various fall flavors.

Companies such as the beloved Dunkin Donuts as well as many local businesses in Cape Coral have added or created their own pumpkin spice drinks. Others have added various original fall favorites, such as Urban Buzz with their “Pumpkinator.” 

While everyone can agree that these seasonal trends are highly anticipated and loved, what is the reason behind the hype? While many people can agree it is a delicious flavor, it’s arguable that the taste of pumpkin spice lattes is not the only reason why it’s so popular among coffee lovers.

The term Pumpkin Spice Latte has become associated with fall over the years and is essential to the popular fall aesthetic. The love of it has been spread through social media with people taking pictures with the drink, making it trendy to buy one every year.

Many people agree that it’s nostalgic, as it’s associated with holidays coming around the corner and spending time with loved ones. The smell and tastes of the flavor increases a desire for the upcoming season. Everyone loves the comforting feeling of something familiar and pumpkin spice lattes are attached to that feeling.

The same reasoning applies to things like fall scented candles or familiar movies that come around with spooky seasons. With the popular show Gilmore Girls, many people have seen every episode but still continue to rewatch it every year because it’s associated with fall.

The same thing goes for Pumpkin Spice Lattes when fall is near, as well as pumpkin spice and fans continue to anticipate it. It’s no wonder why Starbucks has kept bringing them back over the years. While many people do enjoy it, the main motivator for the company bringing back the drink annually is that it’s estimated at least 100 million dollars is made in revenue from the drink annually.

Pumpkin Spice is an exciting drink that comes around the cozier months of the year, leaving fans with a delightful treat to look forward to each and every fall.