The Student News Site of Cape Coral High School

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

Annual Prism Concert is planned to be a success yet again

The Prism Concert is a multi-faceted performance that showcases the many talents here at Cape High. It is where the performing arts classes of Cape High come together to present the show of the year.

“It’s Ms. Dominguez, Ms. Hammon, and I. We all work together to create acts, ensembles, and performances throughout the night and then it’s just kind of like a collection of all three departments,” stated Band Director, Eduardo Ortega. 

The concert is divided into two days, this year taking place on April 4th and April 5th, in the auditorium at 6:00 PM. Tickets can be found on GoFan for $6.00 and will be raised to $9.00 the day of. All of the money collected gets shared between the band, choir, and dance programs.

Anybody is allowed to attend, and Cape High staff are allowed to attend for free. There will be about 100 kids performing these two nights. The performances will range from dance routines, vocal soloists, drumline performances, rock bands, and many more.

The idea for making a Prism Concert for Cape High originates from the Prism Concert they host each year at Florida State University (FSU). “It was called a Prism Concert because when you put a light through like a prism, it goes through a bunch of different rainbows and colors and that’s kind of like the idea of prism, its a collection of colors and collections of sounds,” explained Ortega. 

This encourages the idea of having no leads in the concert, allowing for various performances happening all around the auditorium. “They’re all over the auditorium so as the lights are moving around and the drumline [performs], there might be like a rock band on stage and then there might be like a dance solo on the floor,” stated Ortega.

Lisa Hammon, the new Choir Director at Cape High, has performances that she is excited to see her students perform. “We have some foreign language pieces that are really fun and have a good jive going [and] we have our MPA pieces.” It can be expected to see some pieces in English, Latin, Spanish, German, Italian, French, or other languages.

Hammon is looking forward to seeing this concert come together, and to seeing all the students performing what they’ve been rehearsing for weeks. “I think it’s probably one of the most fun concerts we put on each year,” explained Hammon. “It’s sometimes a little more entertaining to see the variety of acts versus one strict domain for a whole concert.”

The students are also excited to be performing and being a part of something they’re passionate about. “It’s something that brings all the other school’s arts programs together so it was cool that there’s a variety of all that,” stated Jazz Band Guitarist, Harold Porr, a junior at Cape High. 

The directors are hoping for this to be a night that students enjoy and that they’d like to go to with their friends. “I like the Prism Concert because it’s a lot more engaging, it’s less traditional and boring,” explained Ortega. “It’s a lot more lighthearted and fun and I always recommend kids to go, this is a fun evening.”