The Student News Site of Cape Coral High School

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

Hawk News available for all students to select as an elective next year

Renee Bella

As the school year ends, new schedules come into play at Cape Coral High School. This year, TV production is a new class for students to choose as an elective. TV production helps the students learn how to interview people while giving them a way to learn how to create a journalistic news show. 

Hawk News is Cape High’s official TV program, where students are presented with news of what’s going on throughout the school community paired with some great entertainment. 

During the 2023-2024 school year, Hawk News has slowly risen into popularity, producing close to 25 episodes as of now. “I would like to see more leadership positions and us being able to post more frequently,” stated junior Hector Alberro, a staff member on Hawk News. 

Hawk News is a great opportunity for many students, and TV production is how you would make it there. This is a full-year class that students can take for as many years as they desire throughout their time in high school.

This is a beneficial addition for students who are outgoing or want to just have a fun time presenting news and learning how to act. The class will also give opportunities to become better with activities such as team building and group work. It’s a project-based class with no written work, just a hands-on, kinesthetic class. 

All supplies such as cameras and editing software were supplied by Cape High’s administration, so additional funding will not be needed to be a part of this class.

“I think it’s great because it helps since the way that the class was brought up was to help our digital society class, and it is helping all of us develop editing skills with Adobe Premiere,” said Alberro.

Adobe Premiere Pro is a non-linear video editing software application that is timeline-based. Working with Adobe Premiere Pro and learning how to video edit is an important skill that the students get to learn how to use during this class. 

“Learning how to edit was really fun and it prepared me for all the other challenges and tasks we have to do during this class. It’s good just getting to cooperate with everyone and choosing our own teams,” stated junior Dakota Downey, the current Hawk News producer.

Many students are getting excited with this great opportunity to be a part of the news team rolling around the corner as they select for it to be a class in their new set of classes. “I really like the production industry and I think it would be a fun opportunity, also being able to work with the cameras and getting to be on them,” explained freshman Desirae Moe.