The Student News Site of Cape Coral High School

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

Cape Coral’s softball team knocks it out of the park on Senior Night

Ysabela Gonzalez
Image Courtesy by Ysabela Gonzalez

Cape Coral High’s senior night for the softball players took place on April 18th for a home game against East Lee County High.

Senior night was a clear hit with families and friends showing up to support their seniors for one of the last games before moving on from high school. 

Senior Isabel Watts said, “I know we all appreciate the support so much and everyone really gave us the best senior night we could’ve asked for.”

The team and their parents provided many gifts to send the seniors off right. These included a bag for each of their favorite things, a bouquet of flowers, engraved softballs, and many other little presents. 

Additionally, the underclassmen on the team decorated their dugout with orange and white balloons, and gold decorations for the graduates. 

“It has been so fun playing with all of the seniors over the last couple years. I’m going to miss them so much next year,” said junior Kesia Gonzalez. 

Assistant coach John Buice was much of the same mind. “This is a great group of young ladies to play softball with, I’m really lucky to be coaching all of them,” explained Buice.

The seniors had a night to remember, and their send off was accompanied by a well-earned win of 19-4 against East Lee.

Head coach Corey Hernandez stated, “It is truly a special group. Us coaches are having a blast coaching each and every one of them. Senior night was definitely one for the memory books.”

The seniors also got to have their special walk on the field, escorted by their families through a tunnel of bats made by the rest of the team. 

They also wore their special senior sashes and bows as they had their future plans and high school careers announced and commended. 

Freshman captain Allie Buice said, “I was really excited to send off the seniors right and show them how much we love and appreciate them.”

The coaches for this year were new, as the coaches last year quit after a rough season for the Seahawks.

However, despite the many doubts, the new coaches were able to turn the team around to what they are now.

With a streak of seven wins, the seniors were very happy with the outcome of the season. 

Senior Caitlyn Perez said, “We were a little nervous for this season with new coaches and everything, but I’m so proud of the whole team and I love the coaches to death.”

All in all, it was a memorable experience for everybody.

“I will never forget this night, it was amazing and I’m going to miss it a lot. Thank you to the entire team for all of the decorations and presents,” said senior Mariah Cruz.