The Student News Site of Cape Coral High School

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

The benefits of Math Puns 101 are infinite

Renee Bella

It’s 7 AM and huddled groups of students trudge to their first-period class, however, their frowns and yawns dissipate the minute they step into their favorite class, Math Puns 101. Unfortunately for most high schools, Math Puns 101 is not an accredited course that is available to students.

Throughout the seven-period day schedule, students spend time on irrelevant subjects like history, english, and science that aren’t actually beneficial for their future. With just one of these classes gone, Math Puns 101 could become a reality. 

Math Puns 101 would focus on the several factors of delivering successful math puns. Additionally, it would go over the history, practical application, and creation of math puns, resulting in the development of a new well rounded course. 

Unlike other electives, Math Puns 101 would demonstrate how to navigate social situations from family events, to romantic experiences using humorous arithmetic.

As the holiday season approaches, the annual two-month-long series of family encounters begins: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s. Oftentimes, conversations with extended family members can be awkward and repetitive, more so with some family members’ inappropriate jokes.

However, instead of sitting there uncomfortably laughing, Math Puns 101 would teach students how to resolve the tension with a swift and concise math pun. It is a globally accepted fact that 1+1=2, nobody can argue with that, leading to a calm evening full of family harmony. 

Unlike other types of puns or jokes, math puns are multipurpose, with many people opting to use them as pickup lines. Math Puns 101 would help students master the rare and careful art of mathematical seduction, allowing students to intellectually “rizz someone up.”

Not only could this become a class in the United States, but with math being widely regarded as a universal language, it could become the newest global trend. With online platforms captivating audiences with the introductory course, Math Puns 101 could become a school staple worldwide. 

Complex topics such as calculus, trigonometry, and statistics all use math as a central focus and as a result, math has earned itself the title of being one of the most complex subjects out there. However, with the in-depth teaching of math puns, this once-hated subject can become fun and engaging. This can also be true for younger students intimidated by the prospect of math.

The funding required for a Math Puns 101 course would be minimal and would depend mostly on volunteers dedicating their time to creating the curriculum. Even though the spontaneity of Math Puns 101 may appear to be absurd or ridiculous to some, it would provide a rigorous, entertaining, and creative course for a diverse population of students. 

In addition to high schools, Math Puns 101 would also be a great addition to the college curriculum of students pursuing an education degree, as math puns also provide certain educational value. They’re a great way to keep students focused and content with their work. 

Ultimately, the benefits of an introductory Math Pun 101 are like pi, neverending.