The Student News Site of Cape Coral High School

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

The Seahawk's Eye

Homecoming needs a change to its sports game

One of the most remembered events from high school is homecoming. Homecoming brings many things to the table such as spirit week, the dance, and most iconically, the homecoming football game. The week of homecoming is by far one of the most spirit-filled times of Cape Coral High’s school year.

This spirit trails into the football stadium, with everyone dressing up in blue and orange to support their Seahawks who play on the field. While football is an extremely fun sport to watch, I feel the school should try to advertise the other sports that are played during this time.

With no intention to disrespect the football team and all their hard work, this year’s homecoming game ended in a loss of 12-9 against Island Coast, which brought some disappointment from the fans who were decked out with spirit, hoping for a win.

With the team finishing their season with a 4-6, it would seem reasonable to showcase a team that has a reputation of being able to rack up wins on a consistent basis.

An example is the boys and girls swim teams, who have consistently brought production at the county and state level. This year, both teams won districts with the boys collecting 486 points and the girls getting 578 points.

The team has produced a lot of talent with three of the swimmers winning the Fort Myers News-Press athlete of the week title this school year: Hayden Tedhams, Melissa Blaine, and Emma Best. Along with their fellow teammates, the team played extremely well at states and brought a lot of spirit back home with them.

With Cape High having one of the best swim teams in the state, it is an extremely good idea to center our homecoming game on swim.

Another great example of a potential target is the soccer team. The potential with this team is through the roof as there would be time to have two separate matches, a lot like how the powderpuff games are split up. One day could be the boys soccer match and the next could be the girls, bringing separate days of entertainment.

With players such as Cameron Fallacara being on the News-Press’s soccer watchlist, it is a great opportunity to showcase other sports’ top players to our students. Fallacara put up a total of 33 goals and 74 points in 15 games last season. As a result of her and the team’s effort, they won 12 games and only lost seven, carrying them all the way to the semi-finals.

These things are something the school should attempt to incorporate into our homecoming. With these new additions and/or changes to homecoming, there will be more spirit at Cape High than ever before.